Saturday, September 29, 2018

# SELF REPORT

# 8 Self Report - Summary and Suggestion


SUMMARY AND SUGGESTION




6.1.       Purposes of practicum
The purpose of practicum is to prepare myself as a student-teacher that will be a real teacher in the future. This program really helped us to improve our teaching skill, compare the education system between countries, and also improve our English skill.  

6.2.       Procedures of practicum
`            Before joining this program, I was selected by university's selection. In Philippine, after we arrived we had an orientation about our schedule there. In general our program was divided into four parts which are:

  • 1st week  (Orientation and Classroom Observation):
          In the first week we were introduced to the University, school's environment, system, all the faculty and staff members and of course the students. Then all participants were divided to their own grade to teach and cooperating teacher based on the majority of each participant. I got to teach all the 10 graders in Physics and had Mr. Engr. Marius Engelbert Geoffrey C. Castillo as my cooperating teacher.  I also had a partner named Rara who had Mr. Marius as her cooperating teacher too, she was in charge of the nine graders. She was always with me in all of the activities in our teaching practicum and we helped each other. In the remaining days in the first week, I observed all the physics class Mr. Marius had, and I were able to observed Rara's classes too. After each observation, we had mentoring section with Mr. Marius when he gave us many tips about teaching Physics.
  • 2nd week ( Teaching Assistantship and Immersion):
             In the second week we had teaching assistantship and immersion. We began to interact with the students directly. In assistantship, we were in charge in various tasks to support our cooperating teacher's lesson. Because we were having the role of teacher assistant, so our tasks were to assist our cooperating teacher and had our own little section (like opened the class, gave motivation or some simple introduction to the materials in the engagement part). The assistanship week were so helpful to make us get used to the class, know the students, reduce our nervousness and give chance to students to know more about us before they get to be taught by us. Like usual, after entered the class, we would have mentoring session. The mentoring in second week had become different, because we had interacted with the students, so his question would be like, "What do you you think about the two class? Were they different?" and his advice also changed into the characteristics of each class, what would be better for 10 Achievers and what would be better for 10 Innovators, because teacher also had to be able to adjust with the class. But there were also some of us that already taught in this week, according to our each schedule, because only the ones who had class on Thursday and Friday that can teach in the second week.
  • 3rd week
            In the third week we had our own classroom teaching. So we got to teach the entire lesson. We had to  prepare everything by our own, of course with our cooperating teacher's help. Actually we had to prepare the lesson from the second week, because we only got to consult at school, especially for us who had class on monday morning. Like the previous weeks, we also had the mentoring section with our cooperating teacher, and of course the advice also had become different again. In this week, we had more detailed practical advice like how to write on the white board so the students still could see it, how to give clear instructions,  how to manage the index card, how to ask them question, and how to respond to their answer. We also had our initial visit from Ma'am Lalaine in the third week and got to be evaluated by both Ma'am Lalaine and Sir Marius.
  • 4th week
                 In the fourth week, we were still teaching and focused more to the final visit (our final evaluation). We also had to complete our documents and all the datas that were needed for our report. In this last week also, we had our farewell with our new family, the USHS and CLSU family.




6.3.       Outcomes of practicum
From this practicum, I learned so much about how to be a good teacher, to plan a lesson, to understand the students, to get students' attention, and to explain a material in a proper way. I also learned to adjust my teaching style to the new environment with different education system and curriculum. Furthermore I get the chance to improve my English skill with the best environment because English is the second Language in Philippine.
Not only that, I also could learn about their culture, habits and their way to socialize with each other. All the Philippine's people that I met were so warm, friendly and humble. Thy're also very talkative and tried their best to make us comfortable there. 
I feel really grateful for this program that has given me a lot of knowledges, experiences, friends, teachers and of course my sweet students.

6.4.       The challenges of practicum
Beside the difficulties I've explained in the Problem Solving part, my other challenges of this practicum were about dialect. Although I talked in English, and they talked in english, sometimes we couldn't really understand each other, because we had different terms or pronunciation of saying something. That's why sometimes they couldn't understand the instruction that I had given to them, or I couldn't really understand their answer when I asked them some questions. To minimize the misunderstanding in my class, I repeated what I say or ask again what their answer was to them. The  other things that shock me was the culture, because sometimes the male students would want to hug me, because it's normal for them, but prohibited for me. I felt sorry when seeing their disappointed face when I rejected them, because I knew that it was just their way to express their love to their teacher, but I rejected them. For the cases like that, we apologized and explained why we couldn't do something like them.  And the last thing was the food. It's pretty hard to find the food that we Muslims could eat, but after a while we were able to learn how to find the food that are edible for us. We were very lucky to have Ate and Kuya in RSTC Hostels who permit us to use their kitchen.

6.5.     Overall Impression



I feel really grateful for this program that has given me such precious and beautiful memories. Also for all of the Host University's members that has given a very warm welcome for us. In this program, we learned so much things, not only about teaching and education, but also about cultures, religions and to be more open minded about other people. In this program we lived in the same buildings with the other students from China, Thailand and Vietnam who joined different program. I also feel really blessed to be able to teach such smart, hard-working, well behaved and sweet students. This program has given me a new family.



6.6.   Suggestions for future improvement
For this program, I think it would be better to have more time, maybe for about one and a half or two months period of time. It's also important adjust the time with the academic calender to avoid  overlpas' schedule. Also it would be better to give clearer information and explanation about our report, because it contains a lot of things so we got some difficulties to differ the contents for each sub unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @soratemplates